Thursday, January 29, 2015

Thursday Thoughts.....Are you addicted to your technology?

As I have mentioned before, I am reviewing a book that is centered on Teens and technology.  As I read, I realize how much my own world has changed and come to depend on technology as well.  I was late to the game on email, social media, surfing the web, online shopping, etc but since going back to work 7 years ago, all that has changed.  I never texted and to be quite honest, I didn't even know how to cut and paste when I first went back to work.  I was so embarrassed to ask anyone, that I went home and asked my then 6th grader to show me the basics.  

As my children grew, I realized that I had to get on board or get left behind.  I got a cell phone with a keyboard because that whole scrolling through the number keys was too much for me (patience is not my gift).  I had to rely more on email for work correspondence, and then Facebook came into my world.  I was not even going to check it out but a friend of mine begged me to get online so we could stay in touch.  I LOVED connecting with long lost friends, etc.  and because I could do this even after my children went to bed, I was hooked.

Now a days I read books on a Kindle more often than not.  However, I do still like a good page turner in real print with a spine. I use Facebook to keep in touch with people, share my day, learn about theirs, be in the know, find out what is going on in town, etc.  I love Instagram because in all honesty, pictures are my favorite, even on Facebook. I am not really into Twitter except for work and news, but I am sure I will get on board if it continues to grow as it has.  

And Blogging..... I would have never thought that would end up being something I did or something I loved.  I do though!! Blogging has given me a creative outlet, some new friends, and great ideas in fashion, food, and spirituality.  I love connecting with like minded people.  

But, I do have a confession.  I am addicted to my Smartphone :(  I don't want to go anywhere without it.  I don't not want to have Internet access.  It is bad people.  I store my lists, my thoughts, etc on it.  It has become an appendage.  I don't like having an addiction.  I am praying about this right now.  How connected do I need to really be?  I will definitely not give it up, but I am going to get better at leaving it in my purse more.  I need to realize that I do not have to be accessible to the world 24/7.  I am not THAT important.  

Do you have a technology addiction?



This book has not been released yet, but boy do you need to read it when it is!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and giving me some feedback and a chance to get to know you as well :)