Thursday, June 19, 2014

Do I know how to raise teens?

I will never say I have all the answers, but having one daughter just graduate high school and another getting ready to start, I would say I have some experience.

Definitely trial and error.  Live and Learn so to speak.  

My advice to parents of teen daughters.  Follow your heart, your instincts, and definitely practice respect.  Also, do not lie to them.  Ever.  

I am trying very hard to raise my girls with Christian values and morals.  I strive everyday to also be a Godly example to them.  Do I have skeletons?  Yes, I do.  Do they know about some of them?  Yes, they do.  I live in a small town, I couldn't hide some of the skeletons even if I tried.

My girls know that I made mistakes in high school.  I also refer to those mistakes as regrets.  I realize they will also make mistakes, but I do believe they can learn from mine as well and save some hard ache making the same ones.  I will raise my girls differently than I was in some respects because of the live and learn philosophy.  I expect my grandchildren will be raised a little differently than my children too.  

My number one piece of advice.  The hardest part of the parenting role should be behind us at this point in the game.  The standards set.  We must spend the teen years starting the letting go process and letting them wade into new territories with us as support.  Respect them, start showing our trust in them, support them, and always love them.  And when it is required, continue to discipline them.  Our heavenly father continues to discipline us.  It is ok.

And learn to speak their language.....like snap chat :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and giving me some feedback and a chance to get to know you as well :)