Sunday, February 3, 2013

Blessed Sunday





The missionary and martyr Jim Elliott wrote, “The devil has made it his business to monopolize on three elements: noise, hurry, crowds…Satan is quite aware of the power of silence.”

 C.S. Lewis wrote, “We live, in fact, in a world starved for solitude, silence, and private.”


You know God is telling you something when the same things keep coming up.  It seems like everything I read lately keeps telling me to slow down, slow down, slow down....ugghh.  How do you slow down when you have four children (all at a different school stage in their life),a busy hubby, a full time job, a big extended family, and a list of things that all seem good and important?  I am not complaining, at this point I am asking and God is talking back. 

I need to take more cues from my daughter Madi.  Madi is a great example and always has been of , of protecting your time.  Madi does not like to be away from home for too long, too busy with extra activities at school, or too busy at home.  She listens to her body and her mind and does not put too much on her plate.  Even as a learning to talk toddler, if I said we were going to go somewhere she would ask when we would be home.  As a four year old, she decided 5 days of preschool was too much so we switched to two.  This year as a ten year old, she decided to quit chorus.  When I asked why, she said it was too time consuming.  I reminded her it was 30 minutes a week.  She reminded me that 30 minutes of a lot of different things add up.......that was an eye opener. 

30 minutes of a lot of things add up.  My down fall in one statement.  "Sure, I can do that, it will only take about 30 minutes a week".  Now I am stuck in the middle of the Struggle of the Juggle with all of my 30 minute committments.  Tired and over stretched.  I was talking with my nurse practioner about it and she felt maybe I needed to see a counselor.  I completely agreed and then told her I didn't have time for it.  She said she understood (she is also a busy mom, wife, mother, and career lady).  On my way home, I wondered if I have time not to.

Satan does not care if we are Christians, he cares if we are productive Christians doing work for the Kingdom.  Am I productive right now?  I don't feel like it. When i  heard the phrase recently, The Struggle of the Juggle, I  could relate and  I am sure that many others can too.    I am trying to listen to God more.  For me that means turning off the background noise, such as radio, tv, and even people.  I tell the girls when they are constantly talking to quit "yammering"...all in good fun, but I sometimes need life to quit yammering at me.  I have to be more conscious of determining what is great, not just what is good.  I need to say no more, seek quiet time, and get off of the fast bound train and choose the bicycle.  Both get you there, but the second one is more healthy and offers scenery you can enjoy.

 
Have a Blessed Sunday and a wonderful week......


2 comments:

  1. I am so glad we are sisters! I just love your heart. One thing that stuck out to me from Hearts at Home last year was one of the workshop speakers who said "everytime you say yes to one thing, you are saying no to another thing." For example, saying yes to an evening activity is saying no to dinner at home with the family. I have thought about that a lot this year and said it back to my kids a lot, too. I'm not sure how good I am at following it, but it was wise counsel just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agreed on all counts. I love your heart too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and giving me some feedback and a chance to get to know you as well :)