Thursday, February 19, 2015

Unleash Your Power to Respect



It is time for the 3rd Thursday Blog Hop with Jill Savage from Hearts at Home....



I found this quote and used it on another post about a month ago, but it is fitting for this one as well...

Every individual has a place to fill in the world, and is important in some respect, whether he chooses to be so or not. ~ Nathaniel Hawthorne


Respect truly is a super power some days.  Especially on those days when you have to deal with individuals who you don't feel are deserving of your respect.  I know as an adult I struggle with showing respect when other people are being less than respectful of me, but can you imagine how our children feel most days?

More so than when I was younger, adults are becoming more and more disrespectful to our children.  Mostly because they themselves are acting more and more like children.  Why is this?  Why are adult men and women resorting to childlike behavior?  As a parent, I witness teachers, friends and their parents, and authority figures being completely immature.  They are throwing bratty fits, allowing their own children to rule the roost, and involving themselves in their children's lives in unhealthy ways.

Recently I have had many incidents with parents and my children's friends that have brought this to a more glaring light to me.  Parents not only allowing but condoning their children's disregard of other children's feelings.  As a parent, we need to encourage our children to consider other people's feelings and not their own selfish desires.

 I have many specific examples from my 18 plus years of parenting that I could share on this subject.  As a society, we have become self centered and narcissistic.  Respect will definitely take a downward tumble as this continues to snowball.  As parents, we have to unleash this super power of Respect in order to raise men and women who will not only give but get respect in their relationships with others.  Being an example is the first step in the right direction.



2 comments:

  1. AMEN!!!!!!! This is an issue that many parents don't want to address. I see it in the kids that are in the school system and I can tell when our son is hanging with someone he shouldn't... He picks up many of these characteristics and "tries" to excerise them at home. ONLY to be taken down!!! We do not tolerate nor condone disrespect to ANYONE. Yes Ma'am and Yes Sir, Please and thank you! Etc.
    Hopefully we can move this generation to be more respectful. I'm not here to be my kids buddy. I'm here to teach them the proper way to live (as best I can).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from the Hearts at Home Blog Hop. Great post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and giving me some feedback and a chance to get to know you as well :)