Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Addiction and Recovery.....

 
Well I bet that post title grabbed your attention.  My addiction....soda.  Recovery....well we have yet to say. Progress....one week with no form of Soda.  When was the last time this happened in my life?  Maybe at 5 years old.  Maybe.  I really don't know. 
 
My mom let us drink pop whenever we wanted.  I know it was daily.  She herself was addicted to pop and it was just available and preferred by me and my brother.  I am not sure I have ever even went 3 days.  I have given regular pop up for diet or no caffeine before.  You know, trying to be all healthy and all...he he.  But never, ever not at all.  I am so super proud of myself I can't stand it.
 
The reason? Reality.  It is not good for you.  At all.  It eats up your stomach (probably other things too).  It increases your risk of about every disease (at least in the quantities I prefer).  But most of all for me...it is an addiction.
 
Addiction is anything you can't live without.  It does not have to be illegal or on the "bad" list to be an addiction.  I am telling you now, I drank pop like it was my job!!   I would drive out of my way for it.  I was willing to be late getting somewhere for one.  I defended it and I justified it.  It is/was an idol for me.
 
Am I recovered?  Not yet, but hopefully with time, will power, and God's grace, I will get over this addiction and maybe be able to enjoy a soda again occasionally, but as a treat not an obligation.
 
My new addiction?  Hopefully good old water.  Oh and my morning coffee :)  One thing at a time....


1 comment:

  1. I have gone without soda from July 2012. I carry around my water bottle almost all the time. I MISS Pepsi still!!! It would taste SOOO good right now! I still drink iced tea and coffee for caffeine. I also don't count the rarely bought Sonic's cherry limeade (think it has 7-up or Sprite) - I have to allow myself some worldly pleasure. ;) True addict here as well! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and giving me some feedback and a chance to get to know you as well :)